Friday, August 22, 2008

Where are you going?

Isn't it odd how certain aromas can take you places? A window fan is blowing a faint aroma of smoke in my room and I'm immediately transported to a holler (Yankees pronounce it "hollow") down in Kentucky. Around the campfire is three brothers, two with guitars, one with spoons, and several other friends and family members. All more or less intoxicated with their drink or smoke of choice.

We're roughing it, there's no electricity or other modern convenience. This is how Spyder Rydge camp outs always were; we'd pack and load the bare necessities, find or make a road and take it to some holler or ridge in the middle of Nowhere, Kentucky. We played music till the wee hours of the morning, then crash for an hour or two. I remember being the first one up most of the time, after my older brother woke, he'd mix a big jar of hair of the dog, then we'd eat a bite, and start all over.

The same thing happens when I hear a certain song. Michelle Shocked's "L&N" takes me back 25 years, to a garage in Louisville, where there's barely room to stand, but plenty of room to jam.

The aging process isn't a process, it's transformation in reverse. From knowing, to not knowing. From doing to not doing. From young to old, to young again in memories. And you go it alone. Kinda makes me sad, and afraid.

6 comments:

LK Hunsaker said...

Great memory! Sounds like a blast, other than sleeping outside. ;-)

They say smell is the sense most likely to transport you back in time.

TC said...

LK: The first guy on the right in the photo is my father.

I've heard that about the sense of smell too. But music does it for me just as easily.

And now we're producing "instant" memories with digital pictures.

flydragon said...

There is a bath soap on the market whose scent immediately transports me back to when I was a kid brushing my teeth with Dr. Lyons Tooth Powder. Sounds silly, I know, but it happens every time, even if I just walk by it in the store and get a whiff.

As for the aging, I don't think you have to worry about that for some time yet.

TC said...

flydragon: I don't believe I've ever used Dr. Lyons Tooth Powder. Do you know the brand name of the soap so the next time I'm at the store I can get a whiff of what that toothpaste might smell like? And thanks for the uplifting advice too. ;~)

tina said...

I almost felt like I was transported with you to the campground. Aromas are the most memory provoking stimulus in the world. Mine is the smell of rose. Remember Avon's rose cream? I smell it am always transported to the playground where we little girls traded and compared perfumes. Corny, I know. Wonder if little girls do this anymore?

TC said...

Tina: Yes, I do have a faint recollection of that scent from Avon. I think my sisters, or possibly Mother, used it from time to time. And I don't think your memory is corny at all, as a matter of fact it's very touching.