Saturday, September 6, 2008

Four Things

1) The Saturday Acoustic Jam session kicked off today at Phil's Woodshed here in Mercer. Six musicians participated; Phil's the house bass player, and we had three guitars and two dobros. It's a lot of fun and gives us something to do through the winter months.


I was informed after I got home that one of the dobro players is friends with Jerry Douglas and sees other session players quite often. I knew there was something special about this guy, he really knew what he was doing on the dobro, it's great playin with someone you know will pick up on and jam with anything you do.

2) Swingin on a rope is something I can't resist. If I see one dangling anywhere, I'll go over and see if it's swingable. If it is, and it's not against the law or anything, you can bet a Yankee dime I'll swing on it.









This is my daughter swingin on a rope and having a blast.

3) If I could be a spider for a day, I think I'd be a big, bold, black and yellow one. I don't think nothing or no one would mess with me. I see these big spiders quite often along the edges of my garden, with their web stretched out between flower stalks, leaves, rocks, or most anything else that provides a good spot for a net. I was almost tempted to let the one you see below try and bite me while I photographed it. I don't know why I wanted to do that.


4) I love heirloom tomaotoes and won't grow anything else. This is my fourth year growing them and I usually try several new ones each year. This year's top pick has to be 'Green Zebra' for taste and looks. They're only about the size of a tennis ball, which means you have to grow more than one plant if you want a decent sized harvest.


If you want a tomato that tastes like what a tomato should taste like, grow heirlooms. We start ours from seed in March, and by Memorial Day, they're usually a foot tall, sometimes more, sometimes less tall. When I put them out in the garden, I drop a Tum in each planting hole for added calcium, which helps prevent blossom end rot. We also religiously plant a marigold between each tomato plant. Everything else is left up to the plants and Nature. I believe we have a very rewarding relationship with Her.

Peace babies.

14 comments:

tina said...

Love the spider! That tum in each tomato hole is a new one to me. I am going to try it next year. It doesn't fizz fizz with some rain? Or is that Alka Seltzer?

Cindy said...

I never heard that about tums either. That's a good tip, and I'll try that next year.

I grew Green Zebra's a couple of years ago and they are wonderful. I love their coloring and they are so good fried.

Susie said...

Aren't heirloom tomatoes hard to find? We didn't sell them at the nursery I work at and I don't think I have ever seen seed for them. But then again, I haven't looked that hard for seed.

Walk in the Woods said...

Ahhh . . . life is so much about relationships! Our relationships with ourselves, our loved ones and families, tribes and communities, the winged ones and four-leggeds, the burrowers and crawlers, the very Earth that supports us All, even the rooted ones.

:)

Roses and Lilacs said...

I haven't tried green zebra. My favorites are cherokee purple and black krim. I always grow a couple brandywines too.
Marnie

TC said...

Tina: I think the "fizz fizz with some rain" would indeed be Alka Seltzer, not Tums. And you can use generic vs. name brand, it's a lot cheaper.

Cindy: We still get some blossom end rot, but not near as much. I love fried green tomatoes too.

Susie: We usually find heirloom tomato starts at several local nurseries here. And I'm always on the lookout for new ones that friends are growing and ask them for seed. We save our own seed too. A good catalog for heirloom seeds is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com).

WITW: Well said, very well said indeed.

Marnie: I've grown Cherokee Purple and Black Krim, and loved them both. There's so many great ones to choose from!

Charlotte said...

Lovely picture of youre daughter. But this is the second blog i read today with spider closups!!

TC said...

Hi Charlotte and thanks for stopping by. I thought that picture came out pretty cool too.

Rambling Woods said...

This is lovely blog and you do what I envy..garden. I never have wanted to before we moved to his house 4 years ago. But the pond and woods makes me want to at least try. I did plant some coneflower and was rewarded with many butterflies...

walk2write said...

I came here to see what your spider was all about. Very impressive! Thanks for the tip about the Tums for the toms.

TC said...

W2W: Thank you for the compliment and you're most welcome for the tip. ;~)

LK Hunsaker said...

I would need a tums after even thinking about that spider getting anywhere near me. ;-)

Tums for tomatoes. Interesting.

Saturdays...

Layanee said...

The green zebras are the best! Tangy!

TC said...

Loraine: We've put tums in our tomato holes for years and rarely have blossom end rot. And I take it you're afraid of spiders? ;~)

layanee: Thanks for stopping by. We loved them best too! And saved plenty of seed for next year.