Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Time Has Come Today"

The year was 1968, I was 12, it was the end of the civil rights movement, and the beginning of the end of the war in Vietnam. About the only thing I had to keep me from becoming a casualty of all that was music, and The Chambers Brothers helped with their hit "Time Has Come Today." I learned how to play it on the guitar, and wished time would never come.



Time has come today
Young hearts can go their way
Can't put it off another day
I don't care what others say
They say we don't listen anyway
Time has come today

The rules have changed today
I have no place to stay
I'm thinking about the subway
My love has flown away
My tears have come and gone
Oh my Lord, I have to roam
I have no home
I have no home

Now the time has come
There's no place to run
I might get burned up by the sun
But I had my fun
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide
And my soul has been psychedelicized

Now the time has come
There are things to realize
Time has come today
Time has come today

Now the time has come
There's no place to run
I might get burned up by the sun
But I had my fun
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by tumbling tide
And my soul has been psychedelicized

Now the time has come
There are things to realize
Time has come today
Time has come today

13 comments:

tina said...

I listened to all five minutes of it and if I wasn't on my way out I'd listen again. Brings back memories though I was a bit younger than you in 68 I do still remember the war and all. My uncle and father went. Music has a way of saving folks.

walk2write said...

"Readying for Winter," "Time Has Come Today." Have you been reading The Winter's Tale by chance? Just don't start freaking out with your change in season like Leontes did. ;>}

TC said...

Tina: Yes, and it was (and is still) my saving grace at times.

W2W: I must consult the Oracle of Delphi to lessen my chances of "freaking out."

Cindy said...

When I played this, this morning, as soon as it started, Lillian came racing over to hear the music. She's only 10 1/2 months and she already has an appreciation.

Rambling Woods said...

Same age as you and I remember cranking that record up in my bedroom.. and we thought times were scary then.....look at what we have now...

Go camping and listen to the frogs..

Anonymous said...

wow ~ I always thought that was the Rolling Stones. Thanks for the glimpse into the past. I like it.

TC said...

Cindy: Maybe Lillian needs a guitar or other instrument for Christmas? ;~)

Michelle: Good suggestion. If only it weren't the end of summer...next year though...

Anonymous: You're most welcome. I like The Stones too. ;~)

Cindy said...

TC ~ She already has little drums and toy piano, both which she loves. So, yes, I think the guitar is next.

LK Hunsaker said...

I don't remember that one, but I'll go listen when it's not so late at night.

Music does have charms...

walk2write said...

You probably wouldn't trust her advice if you knew what she had been sniffing. ;>}

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/theoracleatdelphinotjusthotair/

TC said...

Cindy: Be sure her first guitar fits little hands and fingers. ;~)

LK: I'm showing my age.

W2W: Factually funny! Thanks for sharing. (Sniff! Sniff!)

JGH said...

I think I've heard that song, but never knew the artists and definitely never read the lyrics, which are, dare I say it...timely!

TC said...

JGH: Thanks for stopping by. And "Time" is an all-time fav of mine.