Thursday, February 19, 2009

Scary move

Once a year Martha Stewart publishes her finest issue of Living. Before you start ridiculing me for saying that (I was lambasted some time ago when I posted about Felder Rushing because someone thought I was promoting him) go pick up a copy of this year’s gardening issue (March, 2009) and see for yourself. On Page 128 is Douglas Brenner’s article “a new hampshire haven” with photos by Eric Piasecki. I was immediately impressed and longed to be in the beautiful garden of Marney Bean, who is featured in this piece. As most of us know, gardening is a work in progress and Bean’s garden is one that has developed over a 30-year span.

My garden is nowhere near as beautiful as Bean’s, nor is it as beautiful as ones I see on most of the garden blogs I visit. I look back on the time when after we first moved here, we cleared a junkyard to put in our very first vegetable and flower garden. Had I looked further ahead back then, the garden today would probably encompass most of our 4 acre lot. Our garden is still quite a ways from being complete, and that’s okay because as I said, gardens are a work in progress, a never ending work in progress, and I doubt our garden will ever be complete (at least not in the sense of something being finished or done).

And perhaps I might say the same thing about my blog. I seem to be constantly working on it, trying to fertilize (even, heaven forbid, using chemicals), cultivate, propagate, and instigate new growth, hoping to impart a little terroir when it's all said and done. I’m looking at a possible repotting, i.e., new template, at the present time. I’m still learning, and as I go, new and old friends Dave and Jennifer have been kind enough to offer their help. Jen is a Web developer, and Dave knows more than I do about blog templates and what not. But it's goin to be a scary move. I uploaded and previewed a new three column template and was alerted to the fact that I would lose all of my widgets, including Google's AdSense (adding it was a little bit more involved than others). But Dave says "it helps to trim out the stuff you don't want anymore." I'm still workin up the courage to make the switch, so it'll not happen yet. (But it won't be long.)

I'm thinkin it was about five or six years ago when I first noticed what we're all seein taking place within our food system right now. Folks have begun to wise up about what they eat, where it comes from, and a lot of us are growing our own. Community supported agriculture seems to be pickin up speed across the nation, and that's a good thing. Here's what a local farm charges for their weekly produce baskets and a description of their program.

Basic Share: Cost $490; Weekly Pickup
Half Share: Cost $295; Semi-weekly Pickup

The Half Share gets the Basic Share amount of produce, but only every other week. The weeks that the half share subscribers come for produce are based upon starting either the first or second week of the season. The subscriber comes every other week. The first pickup is assigned by Meadow Rock Farm.

Our average season is about 21 weeks so for a full share it averages out to $23.00/week.
Payment Terms: ($50 deposit is required to reserve your membership)
1) Pay in full, cash or check, by May 1, 2009. ($10 savings discount off total)
2) Two payments, May 1st and June 1st. (No savings discount)

Leo Hickman, Guardian reporter, interviewed Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini who said, "We're all full of gastronomy, recipes etc. Turn on a TV anywhere in the world and you will see an idiot with a spoon. And every newspaper and magazine has recipes and a photo of the dish taken from above like a cadaver. It's a form of onanism and is masturbatory. We must normalise food rather than put it on a pedestal far out of reach."

And I’m hearing from pundits that the middle class is disappearing; is it any coincidence then that I feel very very transparent in the garden?

11 comments:

tina said...

I will have to look for that issue of Martha's magazine. Yes, gardens are a work in progress, probably blogs too.

Kylee said...

Hi TC - I'm still getting caught up from being in Florida for a week and I know you asked me about a three-column template. I'm going to refer you to a couple of posts I did a year ago, which might help:

Give Your Blog a Makeover: Part I

Give Your Blog a Makeover: Part II

Cindy said...

I agree that blogs and gardens are a work in progress and since as humans we are so fickle, we will always change them when we get bored with the current look.
Do you participate in the farm share? We've considered it in the past, and I'm curious how it's worked out for others.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Changing the blogging template is a big move. Good luck.

I'll check out the magazine. Snow storm due tonight, a nice garden magazine will be just the thing to keep me entertained.
Marnie

walk2write said...

Now what do you suppose someone who lambasts is called? That Petrini is my kind of writer. He has a great sense of humor, isn't afraid to be self-deprecating, and questions the so-called authority of the food "experts"--those idiots with spoons. Can you hear me cackling? TC, you know being transparent doesn't really work. You can still see some processes going on, and some of them aren't too pretty to watch. Have you ever read The Invisible Man?

Susie said...

TC if you visit my blog often enough you can tell I absolutely love changing it's look. I find fantastic backgrounds at The Cutest Blog on the Block dot com. Yes, I realize that sounds a little feminine but they do have some manly looking backgrounds as well. It's free and you don't lose any widgets or info when changing from one background to another. But they do put their "website" on your blog which you may or may not like.

As far as changing the look of the garden that is something that will always happen as long as I am able. That is where part of my satisfaction comes from.

TC said...

Ms. Tina: Living wins all kinds of awards for its design. Even though there's ads throughout, they seem to match the theme of the magazine. I think she's very particular about such things.

Ms. Kylee: Thanks a bazillion!! Your info will help tremendously.

Ms. Cindy: No, I don't participate. We have room here to have a big garden and I always grow plenty of veggies. I'm curious to know how it's worked for others too. Perhaps I'll see if I can find someone to interview for an article about it.

Ms. Marnie: I hope you weathered the storm okay (I wonder where that phrase originated?).

W2W: One who lambastes would be a lambaster, yes? I've not read The Invisible Man, wasn't there a movie years ago? He was quite transparent.

Ms. Susie: I'll check out cutestblogontheblock.com and see what they have. I hope my makeover goes smooth. I'm still workin on it.

Terri said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm glad you did. Although I'm posting a lot about sewing and crafting at the moment, that's mostly because it's winter and there isn't much going on outside.

We compost (and worm compost, in the garage); we raise chickens and much of our own produce in the summer. We're definitely fans of eating locally, of handmade items and handcrafts, and of self-sufficiency. And I'm itching for spring! :)

I like your blog and will be adding it to my blogroll.

Terri

Frances said...

Hi TC, I am with you one hundred percent. I have taken MSL since the beginning, and gave away the old issues to my friend when moving from Texas to TN. I have them all back to 2000, the year I moved here. What needs to be done is keep the March issue of each year out and give the rest to the library. Thanks for the needed push to do just that.
Frances

Dave said...

I can see why you liked that garden so much. Every picture was perfect. The gardens look like the images in my head of where I want to end up with my garden. Thanks for the link, and good luck with your switch!

patrick said...

Hi,thank you so much for sharing, its very nice. Agriculture website templates Easy to download.